Monday, April 20, 2009

Ultimate Hugh Heward Update #13

Mark reports 6:42pm

The river is raging - the soggy bottom boys have been hoofing it, making their way to the comforts of Unadilla Boatworks.

Big shout out to Ron Sell owner operator who has offered a hot shower and a dry place to sleep. He restores boats and builds wooden kayaks and canoes...imagine that? I wonder what they will have to talk about?

"The river is rising with all the rain, there are sections that I wouldn't run down river let alone trying to paddle up river" - Mark P.

Mark reports the fun meter is running high despite the weather and river conditions, which as I write is getting worse with the temperature dropping. It appears the Intrepid 4 can't stop laughing; personally I think its dehydration and hypothermia setting in.

They have nicknamed this section the "Highway to Hell" as their goal is to make it to Hell Michigan by tomorrow night. Blisters are abundant.

Factoid:

There are two leading theories cited by residents for the origin of Hell's name:

The first holds that a pair of German travelers stepped out of a stagecoach one sunny afternoon in the 1830s, and one said to the other, "So schön und hell!" - translated as, "So beautiful and bright!" Their comments were overheard by some locals and the name stuck.

The second holds that after Michigan gained statehood, George Reeves was asked what he thought the town he helped settle should be called, and replied, "I don't care, you can name it Hell for all I care." The name became official on October 13, 1841.

3 comments:

SandyBottom said...

Great reporting Brian, I'm really enjoying it.
Dawn

K.C.A. said...

Thanks, I just finished reading your series of posts... this NC challenge and the efforts you Paul and Kiwi shows. thanks for the pics and the info on what looks to be an outstanding event!!

I'm rubbing nickels together to get down there!!

dangerous donna said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun. I pray for the best of weather (maybe some sunsime 70 no rain). Verlen said it was pancakes that keep you going. I agree parially, I think its pancakes, laughter and smiles. Pancakes will get you down the river, but you also need a little humor to get the day going. Hopefully you guys have a little time to do some mushroom hunting on your trip. Good food always keeps you going.
Keep laughing, keep eating, and keep praying for a safe journey home.
Please send my love to my dad (Dan)
and all my prayers are with you guys.
Donna Busch